What is the procedure for buying SafeHandsTM Hand Sanitiser?
EthCo trades on a Business to Business platform and so packaging available is 5 Litres, 20 Litres and 200 Litres. However, we are working with some SMEs and these are being given authorization to re-pack our products into smaller containers subject to meeting the necessary requirements.
For more details on how you can buy our hand sanitiser, contant us on the following numbers: +265 1295 200 or +265 885 914 754/5.
Q: How many variants of SafeHandsTM Hand Sanitiser are there?
Safe Hands currently comes in three variants. All three contain 80% ethanol and meet the National requirements.
- SafeHandsTM Premium is made from food grade ethanol and is ideal for food handlers and those sensitive to odours of impurities commonly found in ethanol.
- SafeHandsTM Ukhondo is made from industrial grade ethanol and is designed to be effective but also affordable. It is appropriate for anyone who is not sensitive to odours of impurities commonly found in ethanol
- SafeHandsTM Plus is reserve for customer based formulations where additional ingredients are requested. The minimum order quantity for SafeHandsTM plus is 2000 litres.
Q: Is EthCo considering a Gel variant?
A gel variant was planned for the second phase of the project because of challenges in bringing in raw materials due to the lock down situations in most countries. Now that sanitizer is readily available in the country and that countries have eased up restrictions, EthCo will launch the gel version in the next few weeks.
Q: Why is hand hygiene important?
There are several diseases, including Covid-19 that can be transmitted from one person to another through hands.
The World Health Organisation (WHO) and the Centre for Disease Control (CDC) recommend that hands should be washed with soap and water for at least 20 seconds whenever possible to reduce the amounts of all types of germs and chemicals on hands. In cases where soap and water are not available, they recommend using a hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol to prevent you from getting sick and spreading germs to others. SafeHandsTM Sanitisers have 80% alcohol content and has been proven to be effective.
Q: Can I use beer or alcoholic drinks instead of Hand sanitisers
Many studies have found that sanitizers with an alcohol concentration between 60–95% are more effective at killing germs than those with a lower alcohol concentration or non-alcohol-based hand sanitizers. Hand sanitizers without 60-95% alcohol
1) may not work equally well for many types of germs; and
2) merely reduce the growth of germs rather than kill them outright.
Since beers have between 4 -7% alcohol content and spirits up to 42% alcohol content, they would not be effective in killing germs.
Q: How are hand sanitisers used?
When using hand sanitizer, apply the product to the palm of one hand and rub the product all over the surfaces of your hands until your hands are dry.
Q: What can reduce the effectiveness of Hand Sanitisers?
Alcohol-based hand sanitizers can inactivate many types of microbes very effectively when used correctly. The following should be followed to increase the effectiveness of alcohol based hand sanitisers:
- Use adequate amounts of hand sanitizer (about 3 ml depending on application method) to ensure both hands have been covered. Application using a spray dispenser covers a larger surface area and so generally less volumes are used.
- Rub hands until the hand sanitizer has dried. It is not advisable to wipe off the hands too quickly
- Where hands are heavily soiled or greasy (such as in cases after eating, playing sports, gardening or working on a vehicle) soap and water are recommended.
- Water and soap should also be used after handling chemicals as Hand sanitizers might not remove harmful chemicals, like pesticides and heavy metals, from hands.
Q: Will my hands catch fire after using hand sanitizer?
Alcohol is flammable and so the hand sanitizer should be kept away from naked flames. However, once applied and the hands are dried, all alcohol would have evaporated from the hands and the hands would not catch fire.
Q: What safety aspects do I need to know?
Storage: Store well closed in a cool dry place away from sources of heat
Avoid contact with eyes. In case of splashes into the eyes, lift eyelids and continuously flush eyes with water and seek medical attention.
Do not drink as it can cause alcohol poisoning. In case of accidental ingestion, if the patient is conscious, give the patient 2 – 4 cups of water or milk and seek medical attention. Do not give food or drink to an unconscious person. Do not induce vomiting
Q: Where can I get more information about EthCo and it’s products?
The Chief Executive Officer
P.O. Box 50 Dwangwa Malawi, Central Africa
+265 1 295 200
+265 1 295 146