Ethanol Company Limited (EthCo) was established in 1980 and commissioned in 1982 in response to the 1970 energy crisis. We are the pioneer producers of fuel ethanol and industrial ethanol in Malawi. Since its commisioning in 1982, the Company has produced well over 350 million litres of ethanol at both 99.5%v/v and 96%v/v ethanol strength. The Company is Malawi’s sole producer of potable (extra-neutral spirit) alcohol that is used by the beverage, and pharmaceutical industries. Potable alcohol is the Company’s head line product. Besides this product, anhydrous alcohol (fuel ethanol), and rectified alcohol for industrial applications are produced.
To be a world class innovative company that employs strategic and competitive intelligence to provide premium ethanol and allied products using fit for purpose and efficient equipment, processes and technology for the benefit of all stakeholders.
Three-fold increase in turnover by 2023 whilst growing stakeholder value
Our core values are the PRICE we shall be committed to pay in conducting our business.
- People Centred: We shall treat our colleagues and all our partners with dignity, fairness and respect, to foster an environment where people can contribute, innovate and excel;
- Responsibility: We shall be accountable for our actions and shall ensure the occupational health and safety of all employees and other stakeholders is safeguarded. We shall share our success with communities and sustain the environment we operate in;
- Integrity: We shall conduct our business honestly, transparently and ethically and pledge to be open and professional in dealing with fraudulent and corrupt behaviour within the company and amongst all our stakeholders
- Customer Value: We shall strive to surpass customers’ expectations both internally and externally through efficient customer service. We shall therefore be committed to enable our customers excel by: creating long-term relationships, being responsive, relevant, and delivering value consistently;
- Excellence: We shall pursue excellence through highly efficient and effective processes that shall deliver products of ethanol and services of outstanding quality, subsequently rewarding good performance to employees demonstrating this value.
While ensuring business sustainability and delivery of value to its customers the Company has a well-designed risk management system that considers and mitigates all identified risks appropriately. There is hence full commitment from Board level to employees at all levels in the Company to ensure that business risk is minimised . In addition, the company is fully committed to continual improvement of its processes and apply good safety, health, environmental and quality management practices in its activities.